05 Feb 2015
Questions to Ask Your Cake Designer
Next to the wedding dress, the cake is probably a wedding’s most important icon. Whether you want a traditional multitiered creation, a miniature yacht or a cupcake tower, your wedding should reflect your personality. Use the following questions as a guide to help you evaluate a potential cake designer. Click here for a printer friendly version of the PDF Questions to Ask Your Cake Designer
- Are you available on my wedding date?
- How many wedding cakes do you schedule on the same date? NOTE: You want to feel comfortable that your designer is sufficiently staffed to handle the number of cakes they are scheduled to deliver and set up on your date.
- How do you price your cakes? By slice or tier? Does the cost vary depending on the design and flavours I choose?
- What recommendations can you give me to maximise my budget?
- Do you have a ‘menu’ of cakes and prices I can take with me?
- What are the fees for delivery and setup of the cake? Do you decorate the cake table?
- What do you do if the cake gets damaged in transit to or at my reception site?
- Do you provide or rent cake toppers, cutting knife, cake stands, etc? What are the fees?
- How far in advance should I order my cake?
- How much is the deposit and when is it due?
- When is the final payment due?
- Are there any additional fees I should be aware of?
- What is your refund policy if for some reason I need to cancel my order? What if I am not happy with the cake?
- When can I expect to receive my contract from you?
- How long have you been in the business? Are you licensed and/or insured?
- How many weddings have you done?
- Where did you receive your training?
- Can you provide me with 3-4 recent brides that I can contact for references?
- Do you have a portfolio of your work I can view, and did you make all the cakes in it?
- What are your specialties?
- Can you design a custom cake to match my theme, dress, colour scheme or do I have to select from set designs?
- If I provide you with a picture of what I’d like, can you recreate it? Does it cost extra for a custom design?
- If I don’t have a clear vision of what I would like, can you offer some design ideas based on my theme and budget?
- What flavours and fillings do you offer?
- What are the different ingredients you typically use? Can you accommodate my dietary needs such as gluten free, nut free cake etc?
- Do you have cake tastings? Is there a charge?
- Do you do both fondant and buttercream icing?
- Are there any other icing options I should consider? Which do you recommend for my cake design?
- Can you create sugar paste, gum paste or chocolate flowers? If I decide to use fresh flowers, will you work with my decorator or will you obtain and arrange them yourself?
- Will you preserve the top tier of my cake for my first wedding anniversary or do you provide a special cake for that?
- How far in advance of the wedding is the cake actually made? Do you freeze your cakes?
- Do you provide other items that I can give my guests as favours?
- Arrange a consultation with your potential cake designer in person and do a tasting before you sign a contract. Remember not all cake tastings are complimentary.
- Make sure your cake designer specialises in wedding cakes. A wedding cake is usually more elaborate than a birthday or graduation cake.
- In general, you should order your cake 4-6 months prior to your wedding.
- You might be able to save some money by choosing one overall flavour for your cake or having a small cake for display and the cake cutting accompanied by a sheet cake to serve to your guests.